Sunday, March 13, 2011
2:50 PM | Posted by The Blogger Formerly Known As Lvka | | Edit Post
These are the three marks of truth, according to Saint Vincent of Lerins, and -among all Christian denominations- only Orthodoxy possesses all three of them, as we shall easily show in the following paragraphs:
Protestantism lacks all three of them, primarily antiquity, the first Protestant denominations dating back to no sooner than the 16th century, or -more precisely- to 1517 AD. Even the so-called Pre-Reformers did not exist prior to the 12th, 14th, or 15th centuries.
Among the remaining four1 ancient and apostolic churches, only Orthodoxy possesses universality, as we shall now demonstrate:
Catholicism is distinguished by its unique, local belief in the Filioque, completely unknown to all other ancient and apostolic churches.
Monophysitism or Miaphysitism is distinguished by its unique, local belief in the one nature of Jesus Christ, completely unknown to all other ancient and apostolic churches.
Nestorianism is distinguished by its unique, local belief in the two persons of Jesus Christ (Jesus the man, and Christ our God), completely unknown to all other ancient and apostolic churches.
Therefore –among all the ancient and apostolic churches– Orthodoxy is the only one that possesses catholicity, being thus "the one holy catholic and apostolic church" of the Nicene creed.
1 I did not take into account artificial hybrids, or unification movements, such as Eastern Catholicism (between Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy), Oriental Catholicism (between Catholicism and Oriental Orthodoxy), and Monothelitism or Monoenergism (the Maronites of Lebanon: between Eastern and Oriental Orthodoxy), all of which lack both antiquity, as well as universality.
Labels: Church Calendar, Church Fathers, Church History, Ecclesiology, Lvka, Orthodox, Protestantism, Roman Catholicism
Eventhough the Council of Carthage was a local North African Council it became Universal when the decrees were added to the 6th ecumenical ...
From the book The Person in the Orthodox Tradition by Metropolitan of Nafpaktos Hierotheos, and translated by Esther Williams "&q...
Previous installment: Part I (Introduction) An obvious and important question to ask when examining the validity of the presence and vene...
I like their style. Check out the webpage: The Orthodox Revolutionary quote: We also intend to foment revolution outside the walls o...
Okay, so the Didache's not technically one of the Fathers. But I've decided to cover it in this series anyway for a few reasons: It...
- A Biblical Defence of Orthodoxy (13)
- A Defense of the Holy Icons (10)
- Abortion (3)
- About Us (14)
- Absolute Divine Simplicity (2)
- Addiction - Idolatry - Spiritual Struggle (37)
- Apocrypha (4)
- apologetics (3)
- Apophatic Theology (1)
- Articles (6)
- Asceticism (1)
- Atheism (10)
- Atonement (23)
- Audio (6)
- Books (19)
- Calvinism (50)
- Canon of Scripture (8)
- Christmas Carols (4)
- Christology (28)
- Church Calendar (104)
- Church Fathers (66)
- Church History (26)
- Cyrillian Chalcedonianism (1)
- David (4)
- Debates (8)
- Double Standard (40)
- Eastern Orthodoxy NOT Refuted (6)
- Ecclesiology (5)
- Eschatology (6)
- Essence and Energies (2)
- Eucharist (10)
- Exegesis (18)
- Fasting (80)
- Fathers and Sola Scriptura (13)
- Fathers on Free Will (6)
- Fathers on the Eucharist (3)
- Feminism (6)
- Filoque (1)
- Hell (9)
- Heretical Christology (4)
- Heretical Triadology (1)
- Holy Spirit (1)
- Homosexuality (2)
- hypostasis (7)
- Icons (19)
- Is Eastern Orthodoxy Christian? (2)
- Islam (13)
- Jehovah's Witnesses (6)
- jnorm (12)
- Judaism (14)
- Justification (19)
- Kabane52 (8)
- Lvka (197)
- Martyrdom (17)
- Mary (8)
- Miscellaneous (131)
- Monothelitism (1)
- Morality (33)
- Mormonism (1)
- Myths (3)
- Old Calendarism (3)
- Original Sin (2)
- Orthodox (9)
- Pages (9)
- Patristics (1)
- Philosophy and Politics (12)
- Prayer (11)
- Prayers to the Saints (2)
- Predestination (5)
- Prosperity Gospel (4)
- Protestantism (206)
- quotes (1)
- Rebuttals (10)
- Relics (1)
- Resources (28)
- Roman Catholicism (20)
- Romans (3)
- Romans Chapter 9 (5)
- Sacraments (19)
- Schismatics (4)
- Scripture (2)
- Sola Fidea (1)
- Sola Scriptura (25)
- Soteriology (1)
- Theotokos (3)
- Tradition (8)
- Triadology (8)
- Video Resources (14)
- Videos (30)
THUS SAITH THE LORD
- The Hold That Passions Have On A Man
- Synergy in Christ According to Saint Maximus the C...
- The Heart of the Matter
- The Author of "Basic Instinct" Repents of a Life-T...
- What Does God Even Want From Us Anyway!?
- Kicking the Habit: The Struggle With Sin Continues...
- Embracing the Emo Subculture: Depressing Orthodox ...
- Why I'm Writing a Book
- Why the Mother of God was Ever-Virgin
- Al Pacino on God, Guilt, Fasting, Abstinence, and ...
- Tom Cruise On Lent, And Its Effects On People
- The First Words From The Savior's Lips:
- Protestants Are Right! The Orthodox Are Idolaters ...
- Second Sunday of Lent: Saint Gregory Palamas, Apop...
- What's Holding You Back?
- The Difference Between Orthodoxy and Jainism
- The Difference Between Lent And Ramadan
- Fasting = Castration + Evisceration
- If You Think Catholics Are Evil For Not Allowing T...
- Heaven as Hell: The Gospel According to Mark (Twai...
- Romans 9 and Reformed Theology
- Holy Scripture and the Church
- Why Orthodoxy is the True Faith (Extended Version)...
- "Atheism & Morality" Debate and Other Announcement...
- Halloween on the Old Calendar: When "Tales from th...
- Welcome on Board, Thom!
- The Joy of Lent !
- Apostolic Succession: The Pre-Augustinian View
- The First Two Rules Of Fasting
- Protestantism: Giving Up Fasting For Lent Since 15...
- The Faith that Established the Universe!
- Christ Refutes One of the Solas !
- What Would Jesus Do?
- Lenten Prayer of Saint Ephraim the Syrian
- Our One True God
- A Short Summary of Over Five Years of Apologetic E...
- Fasting: The Entrance-Gate Into A Sexless Eternity...
- ▼ March (37)
- ► 2010 (191)