Monday, March 7, 2011
12:55 PM | Posted by The Blogger Formerly Known As Lvka | | Edit Post
Matthew 4:1 ¶Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil. 2 And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.
Luke 4:1 ¶And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, 2 Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered.
Matthew 9:14 ¶Then came to him the disciples of John, saying, Why do we and the Pharisees fast oft, but thy disciples fast not? 15 And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast.
Mark 2:18 ¶And the disciples of John and of the Pharisees used to fast: and they come and say unto him, Why do the disciples of John and of the Pharisees fast, but thy disciples fast not? 19 And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber fast, while the bridegroom is with them? as long as they have the bridegroom with them, they cannot fast. 20 But the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken away from them, and then shall they fast in those days.
Luke 5:33 And they said unto him, Why do the disciples of John fast often, and make prayers, and likewise the disciples of the Pharisees; but thine eat and drink? 34 And he said unto them, Can ye make the children of the bridechamber fast, while the bridegroom is with them? 35 But the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken away from them, and then shall they fast in those days.
Labels: A Biblical Defence of Orthodoxy, Church Calendar, Fasting, Lvka, Miscellaneous, Protestantism
From the book The Person in the Orthodox Tradition by Metropolitan of Nafpaktos Hierotheos, and translated by Esther Williams "&q...
Since the rise of Protestantism, there has been a debate on the veneration of the Virgin Mary. Orthodox Christians argue that since Mary is ...
St. Irenaeus of Lyons was a disciple of St. Polycarp of Smyrna, who was a disciple of St. John the Apostle. Irenaeus' greatest achievem...
There were two views, one would later be declared heretical while the other Orthodox. Taken from the book " "Church History, Vol...
St. Justin Martyr, also called "the Philosopher," was a follower of Greek pagan philosophies who converted to Christianity. He us...
- A Biblical Defence of Orthodoxy (13)
- A Defense of the Holy Icons (10)
- Abortion (3)
- About Us (14)
- Absolute Divine Simplicity (2)
- Addiction - Idolatry - Spiritual Struggle (37)
- Apocrypha (4)
- apologetics (3)
- Apophatic Theology (1)
- Articles (6)
- Asceticism (1)
- Atheism (10)
- Atonement (23)
- Audio (6)
- Books (19)
- Calvinism (50)
- Canon of Scripture (8)
- Christmas Carols (4)
- Christology (28)
- Church Calendar (104)
- Church Fathers (66)
- Church History (26)
- Cyrillian Chalcedonianism (1)
- David (4)
- Debates (8)
- Double Standard (40)
- Eastern Orthodoxy NOT Refuted (6)
- Ecclesiology (5)
- Eschatology (6)
- Essence and Energies (2)
- Eucharist (10)
- Exegesis (18)
- Fasting (80)
- Fathers and Sola Scriptura (13)
- Fathers on Free Will (6)
- Fathers on the Eucharist (3)
- Feminism (6)
- Filoque (1)
- Hell (9)
- Heretical Christology (4)
- Heretical Triadology (1)
- Holy Spirit (1)
- Homosexuality (2)
- hypostasis (7)
- Icons (19)
- Is Eastern Orthodoxy Christian? (2)
- Islam (13)
- Jehovah's Witnesses (6)
- jnorm (12)
- Judaism (14)
- Justification (19)
- Kabane52 (8)
- Lvka (197)
- Martyrdom (17)
- Mary (8)
- Miscellaneous (131)
- Monothelitism (1)
- Morality (33)
- Mormonism (1)
- Myths (3)
- Old Calendarism (3)
- Original Sin (2)
- Orthodox (9)
- Pages (9)
- Patristics (1)
- Philosophy and Politics (12)
- Prayer (11)
- Prayers to the Saints (2)
- Predestination (5)
- Prosperity Gospel (4)
- Protestantism (206)
- quotes (1)
- Rebuttals (10)
- Relics (1)
- Resources (28)
- Roman Catholicism (20)
- Romans (3)
- Romans Chapter 9 (5)
- Sacraments (19)
- Schismatics (4)
- Scripture (2)
- Sola Fidea (1)
- Sola Scriptura (25)
- Soteriology (1)
- Theotokos (3)
- Tradition (8)
- Triadology (8)
- Video Resources (14)
- Videos (30)
THUS SAITH THE LORD
- The Hold That Passions Have On A Man
- Synergy in Christ According to Saint Maximus the C...
- The Heart of the Matter
- The Author of "Basic Instinct" Repents of a Life-T...
- What Does God Even Want From Us Anyway!?
- Kicking the Habit: The Struggle With Sin Continues...
- Embracing the Emo Subculture: Depressing Orthodox ...
- Why I'm Writing a Book
- Why the Mother of God was Ever-Virgin
- Al Pacino on God, Guilt, Fasting, Abstinence, and ...
- Tom Cruise On Lent, And Its Effects On People
- The First Words From The Savior's Lips:
- Protestants Are Right! The Orthodox Are Idolaters ...
- Second Sunday of Lent: Saint Gregory Palamas, Apop...
- What's Holding You Back?
- The Difference Between Orthodoxy and Jainism
- The Difference Between Lent And Ramadan
- Fasting = Castration + Evisceration
- If You Think Catholics Are Evil For Not Allowing T...
- Heaven as Hell: The Gospel According to Mark (Twai...
- Romans 9 and Reformed Theology
- Holy Scripture and the Church
- Why Orthodoxy is the True Faith (Extended Version)...
- "Atheism & Morality" Debate and Other Announcement...
- Halloween on the Old Calendar: When "Tales from th...
- Welcome on Board, Thom!
- The Joy of Lent !
- Apostolic Succession: The Pre-Augustinian View
- The First Two Rules Of Fasting
- Protestantism: Giving Up Fasting For Lent Since 15...
- The Faith that Established the Universe!
- Christ Refutes One of the Solas !
- What Would Jesus Do?
- Lenten Prayer of Saint Ephraim the Syrian
- Our One True God
- A Short Summary of Over Five Years of Apologetic E...
- Fasting: The Entrance-Gate Into A Sexless Eternity...
- ▼ March (37)
- ► 2010 (191)